Friday, 28 July 2017

Desert islands

SHARE
G.K. Chesterton was asked what one book he'd choose to have with him if stranded on a desert island. He chose "Thomas's Guide to Practical Shipbuilding." 

In a similar vein, I remember someone in the 1980s said the person they'd choose to be stranded on a desert island with was Mrs. Thatcher 'because you'd know you'd get off it'.

Playing the game as it is meant to be played, my book would be the Complete Works of Chaucer. I devoured Chaucer in that summer between school and university and I might have enough time to read the Latin poems and even teach myself medieval French to read the French ones. But the several volumes of the collected Chaucer are not a single book so I might take the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations or another collection. I think the Faber collection was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment